KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Ice Ice Baby!


It has been a brutal week here. We finally got our power back on Saturday night after 4 days. As you can see from the picture above this is what we were dealing with, now multiply that by thousands! In this picture my husband and I went to rescue an elderly lady from her house that had no power. The truck would not fit under the tree so Bob walked up to get her while I stayed with the truck.


She was scared and very happy to get a ride to her cousin's house. There were many detours to get there and and it took over an hour, normally it would have been 15 minutes.
He also rescued a young woman whose car got stuck. She was on her way to her first day at work and drove her home. My hero!


Besides the generator this was a happy appliance to have! The gas stove came in handy too because it did not require electric.


My vintage cookbook came in handy as I did not know how to make percolator coffee. How long do you let it perc?



This was not a happy headline to see but...........I have one gripe to get out. There were people whining and complaining about not having power and why was PECO so slow getting it back, where were the trucks, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....SERIOUSLY? remember that first picture? They had to have tree people first cut away the trees before they could even begin to fix the wires. They had twice as many workers out than they did during Hurricane Sandy and this was the worse ice storm in their history. I was not having a good time, it was uncomfortable but in no way did I want any worker to be killed or hurt so I could watch TV or be on the Internet. They are working 16 hour days in the cold and sometimes even in the dark. Ok I am done, just had to get that out.


Griffin and Elliot
On Friday I had my grandsons over for the day. They were very good considering there was not TV etc. they did play out side in the snow for a long time too.



Luckily all my yellow scraps had been ironed so I cut the rest of them up.


The day before the storm I got 2 Farmer's Wife blocks completed.



I organized about 13 blocks to take with me on our Getaway that takes place in about a week.



I keep all the fabrics I want to use in a separate basket so they are easier to find.



All packed up and ready to go!

Kelly

15 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how you are. It's great to know you've got a gas stove for cooking. Bob really is so wonderful. Good on you for voicing your feelings about people not appreciating the work that all the emergency repair crews do. It's great to see got a bit of fabric play in , even if it's getting blocks ready for sewing at the retreat. I hope the weather settles down soon and that everything gets back to normal for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the fabric colors you're working with might be lifting your spirits a bit considering what's going on outside - glad you snug and warm in your home - how lovely that you've been able to help others....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we LOVE our generiac generator; we have about 5" of ice- packed snow cover and more to come This Thurday into Friday. mostly, they say, freezing rain--the worst!! I am trying to get my sewing mojo back--so far, not;--((( so much. ..
    I like your fused flowers that you blogged previously. Maybe I should do my applique that way...they are very Spring-like--boy, don't we all need that??? Stay warm and happy...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a real knight in shining armor! Love the yellows! Hope you're heading someplace WARM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are much more prepared for that kind of weather than most! Good for you. Your husband sounds like a great guy. Stay warm.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy to hear thatyou have power back. And have played rescue squad. I am sure that neighbor was so grateful to get to her sisters.
    It really is difficult to be without power, but working in the ice and cold is so physically demanding and dangerous. It is easy to complain but those crews are really going over and above toget power restored.
    Your yellows look so sunshiney bright.
    Enjoy the the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reaching out and helping others is certainly the best way to make a difficult situation better for someone else and yourself as well. Glad you had all those wonderful yellows ready for cutting. It was the perfect color to be working with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Kelly. We were out for three days and workers from Indiana Michigan Power company were helping PECO get our power back on. There were 3 branches on wires in just one block of our street. There was just so much for them to do that it takes a lot of time. We stopped and thanked any workers we saw when we were out. Good for you two for helping your neighbors and have a wonderful getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear you have weathered the storms without too much trauma. I too never understand the complaining. Do these people think that there are workers sitting in luxury somewhere & not bothering to go out? Most times these workers are flat out. I say take some personal responsibility & help yourselves if at all possible & safe. Maybe clear the smaller trees or scrape a road? Gee it really makes me a ranty pants. OK rant over.
    The Farmer's Wives blocks are looking lovely. Look forward to seeing more.
    Cheers
    Lush
    Worthing, UK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those yellows look like pourable sunshine! I don't have a single scrap of fabric across that color range!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My! I'm so glad you are safe and didn't have any damage to home/car. What a mess!
    Those yellows look delicious and fun to play with. You have the best fresh fabric collection- EVER
    I pack the same way for retreats. How nice to have something fun to look forward to. great FW blocks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always marvel at the work and dedication of the rescue services people - they all deserve our praise (ours are currently fighting fires). So glad your husband was able to help those two ladies. Have a loverly time away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt the same way about the Hydro workers during our ice storm who worked around the clock and missed Christmas with their own families trying to restore our city's power. You and hubby have the right spirit helping out your neighbors. These storms and the aftermath are very scary for those people on their own. On a lighter note, your fabrics look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man! We lost our power for about 4 days once and made it through without a generator by using the fireplace. I remember burning the soles of my shoes by keeping them as close as I could to the flames! I'm glad that you are okay. Too bad that you don't have a treadle machine...then nothing would slow your sewing down!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kelly, I was just admiring your Farmer's Wife Blocks again! Do you paper piece them all? Do you print in mirror images?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!