KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Hexagon Fabric Dish Tutorial


These are some cute and easy fabric dishes I made for my bee friends. On Instagram a lot of people asked for a tutorial so here we go!
Sorry about the pictures but it was getting dark so they aren't so great.



I had this ruler that I used as a template. I am sure you can make them other sizes (with experimentation). If you go bigger I would suggest some interfacing on the fabrics so it isn't floppy.


This is a fun project to use a fussy cut fabric just be sure that you leave an inch all around the edges so that your subject is in the center. Overall you will need a piece of fabric for the front and the bottom that are 8" squares. You will also need a piece of scrap batting 8"square.


If you have a see through ruler you can try all different subjects to use for the inside. I ended up liking my first choice the best.


Cut out all three pieces using your ruler.


Layer the batting on the wrong side of the top fabric and place that unit right sides together with the bottom fabric.


Pin all the way around leaving one edge open. I made 2 marks about 3/4" on both sides as my start and stop points. Use a walking foot and sew a 1/4"all the way around. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end. Carefully trim the points if you want.


Before you turn it right side out, draw a line between the 3/4" marks with a pencil.


Press with your iron right on the line. It will make it nice and easy to line up the edges when you top stitch them together.


Turn it rightside out and push out the corners (carefully) and give it a good press. You will see how nicely the edge we just pressed will line up with the top. Now top stitch around the edge approximately 1/8"


It will look like this. Press it well.


Use a hera marker all along the edge about 1" on all sides. If you are using a different size hexagon you will have to experiment to get it right.


See those lines? You will stitch on them all the way around the piece, pivoting at the intersections. If you can't see it use a washout pen but be sure to test it first. Again use a walking foot.


It will look like this. Press it well.


Now go around and press up each side. This will give it some shape and make it sit nicely.


Now fold each point so it looks like this.


Sew each point approximately 1/2" going over your stitching twice to reinforce it. It's more important that they all be the same rather than an exact 1/2" If 1/4" or larger works better than go for it, just be consistent. You start stitching at the top and go all the way to the bottom.


There you go! She looks pretty happy living in here doesn't she?


Here's the bottom fabric.


These are perfect for small lightweight items and make fun gifts. You know you want to make one or ten. The fabric choices really make it a fun item to sew.
Please let me know if you make one I would love to see it!

Kelly

18 comments:

  1. Kelly me encantan estos cuencos
    tengo alguno hecho
    los cuencos son tan prácticos
    buen domingo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. I love the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! They need to go on my 'to-do' list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful tutorial ! I have the same hexagon template so I can do it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so fun and I love mine! except hanna fell in love with it (the cat lady) she uses it for her earbuds on her nightstand. they are great jewelry catches too.
    I plan to make some - thanks for the step by step tutorial - its just great Kelly~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute. They do look like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance you made a dozen more for my Bee buddies? They would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore!!! Might have to make some for my special girls!
    Thanks for the great tutorial! Hugs, Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this. They look much sturdier than the bowls I've made with a different method. I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so fun!! Thanks for taking the time to write a tutorial. I can imagine lots of these being made for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this lovely idea. Your instructions are great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love! Thank you so much for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute. Thanks for giving such a great tutorial. I'm going to give them a try

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just finished off my second hexie dish! I've made one with Christmas fabric and one with patchwork for a gift! I can see another Christmas one and probably many more as gifts! Your tutorial came at an opportune moment for me and I made one straight away! I'd been making multiple draw string bags and the hexie dishes were too cut to ignore!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It made me happy just to look at this. I definitely want to make some. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this quilt. Anyway, another fabric store which is Broadway Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!