KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Graduation Day and Applique

Yesterday was Griffin's graduation from kindergarten. It's official he's a first grader now!

I am working on yet another project, like I need another one. I thought I would show you how to do applique "off the block". It's a nice way to get things lined up as perfect as can be. Everything is done in your hand before you put it on the block.
Above I outlined and cut out a dark pink leaf. I layed it on top of the next piece. Make sure the light pink piece is bigger than you need.


Applique the leaf down.....

Now take the next pattern piece and lay it over your leaf. As you can see I made marks on the template so I could line up the leaf exactly where it needs to be.

Trace around the light pink template and lay it on the next piece, again making sure it is bigger than you need and applique it down.


Now center the next template over both using the markings to line up the light pink template and trace around it.

Cut it out.....


Now you are able to lay it perfectly on your block and everything lines up pretty well. Applique then stand back and admire your work!

Off to another graduation party...

Kelly

7 comments:

  1. Great tutorial... Will definitely be trying this method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial. I like that, think I'll use it when I start my applique table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, You're wonderful for sharing these tips with us. I never would have thought to do that. Your grandson looks so cute graduating from kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your applique is so pretty...love the colors. Your little graduate is a cutie pie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so cool... I often wish i had 'handwork' ... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats to the graduate!
    Took me years to figure this out - I used to struggle - great tip

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!