KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Now Why Didn't I think Of That?

I found this amazing idea for half square triangles by the Missouri Star Quilt Company on Youtube. I thought I would do it to make sure it really works and see how accurate this is......


First take two charm squares.


Stack them up, right sides together.


Sew a 1/4" all around the outside edge. I started on a side but now realize I should have started in a corner, but it doesn't make that much difference.

It will look like this....you can see my little wobble on the left hand corner...


Use your rotary cutter and ruler and cut from corner to corner.


Flip them open and voila! you have perfect half square triangles.....One note of caution, the edges are on the bias. It is most important to PRESS not IRON your finished square. This is a cool idea and I will use it in the future.



If you measure a charm square they are a little bit over 5", as you can see in this picture. If you cut your own charm squares exactly 5" you will get an exact 2 1/2 " finished square. My friend Terry just emailed me and said, if you cut your own  on the bias they would turn out with the edges on the straight of grain.....another good reason for friends!
I am just a little slow on the uptake or have you heard of this technique before? Isn't it always the simple things that amaze us?
Or maybe it is just me!!

Kelly

23 comments:

  1. First I've heard of this technique Kelly. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha McCloskey has a method of joining several bias strips before cutting the squares. I'm pretty sure she wrote a book about it with directions to get different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it before but discounted b/c of bias. Never would have thought of cutting 5" square on bias as a first step. I love smart people!

    Thanks, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!! Thank You for this wonderful, scathingly Brilliant information!!!! NEVER thought of cutting on the bias!!!! Thank You again!!! And Again!!! Mollie

      Delete
  4. I happened to see the video the other day and thought it was pretty cool but I don't like that it's on bias. Cutting bias squares first is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starch and press holds the bias potential problem

      Delete
  5. I love this idea and will try it soon, will be cutting mine on the bias. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Kelly! I just bought a new stack of charms and was wondering what to make. Now you just got me started thinking some more :) the wheels are turning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you buy charm squares?

      Delete
  7. starching takes care of the bias problem. i do this all the time now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw Jenny Doan do it on a YouTube tutorial and thought it was the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, great tip! I haven't seen this before, but it's so clever. I know I will use this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wales, UK
    Thanks for this tip. Certainly try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I can try all those half square patterns I avoid. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a "slick" method until you think it through... all the outside edges are on the BIAS! Be very careful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you didn't read the previous comments? . . . TSK TSK ;)

      Delete
  13. What size are each of the HSTs afterwards? And how do to scale to make larger?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dumb question... How do you cut on the bias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no dumb question if you don't know the answer. You can cut a square on the bias by placing the diagonal of the square on the straight of the grain--in other words, parallel to the selvedge. Happy quilting!

      Delete
  15. Don't you waste a lot of fabric if you cut a Square on the bias?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only do that if I had several half square triangles with the same colored fabrics.

      Delete
  16. THANKS FOR SHARING! I'M A NOVICE QUILTER AND THOUGHT THIS WAS A GREAT TIP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sew but trying to learn quilting. I know what the bias is but I honestly have no clue what this all means or what you're trying to accomplish. I would just cut all my squares the same size and make triangles out of the squares. Put this more in layman's terms and why are you cutting on the bias?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!