KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Red and White Crazy!

As most of you know there is a wonderful Red and White Quilt Exhibit in NY this week. I am lucky enough to be able to go and will be there tomorrow with some of my friends. I really do like red and  think we will be seeing many red and white quilts in the next few months!

In honor of the exhibit I am going to show you how I making my applique circles for Beyond The Cherry Tree using Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles.

Cut a circle about 1/4 or even 1/2 larger than your finished size circle. As you can see it does not need to be a perfect circle, just eye ball it.

Next sew a basting stitch all around the inside edge, like you would do for a yo yo. Sorry for the bad picture.


Place your perfect circle in the center and gently pull the thread across the circle. I find it works better this way

It will look like this. Don't trim your thread yet.
Pull on the thread to keep it in shape and press with the iron.

Turn it over and give it  little press with some spray starch, I like Mary Ellen's Best Press and iron again until it is dry. Trim the thread a generous 2 inches.

Let it completely cool, this is important. While you are waiting prep the next one. Once cool, gently open the circle and pull out the template, only open as far as you need to get it out. Use that nice long thread to pull it back into shape and give it a little press if needed.
Now they are very easy to place on your block. With the edges already turned under they sew up in no time.

Kelly

11 comments:

  1. I love red too! I'm going to be there tomorrow too! Can't wait to see it, the photos look incredible!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    Your quilt is going to be breathtaking! I already love it beyond words!
    Great tutorial.. and oh yes.. So excited about tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial, very useful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial!! The Red and white exhibition would be amazing to see. I've been loving all the photos on blogland. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice turorial! I love red...wish I could jump in the car and go to the quilt exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited for you, wish I could have gone but it's far, far away.
    I love your new block, I remember the days of doing circles before the templates, not as easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why you alwaya have such beautiful circles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome and charming blog and quilts! It's amazing how many quilters love Pyrex.
    I've added your name as an author to the Pyrex Collective, so it should be working.
    Go girl!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. berry-licious
    went yesterday for my 2nd helping of red and white - fabulous!
    love this wreath block!
    have fun in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, the trick is the stitching and pressing---then cooling! I use perfect circles. Washers. Dimes/quarters/pennies. And I have a Sizzix cutter to perfectly cut circles, that tip was from the other Lori--and it is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, OK....I bought the templates years ago. You've inspired me to finally use. Or is it just the red?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!