KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Friday, March 27, 2020

Day


My son just texted me and said "I am so glad it is Friday, or just day as I call it now." It does feel like all the days are the same.
I have been busy. I made this quilt top that I am calling Pademic 2020 #1 because I think I may be making another one.
The large applique bird is from Blackbird Design. I was loathe to see it languish in a box so it became the centerpiece of the quilt. Once it was up on my design wall I just started adding blocks around it until I found something that felt like it was working. It took me about a day to make this into a design I liked.


 

I have many, many orphan blocks. Orphan blocks are blocks that I made as a test, a project that was started and not finished,, I made too many blocks, or a block that turned out too small or too big, maybe I was not in love with the colors. I also save the half square triangles from snowball ends. I have hundreds of them in all different sizes.



When making a quilt like this I need to have a little bit of calmness to all the chaos. I chose all the blocks that were blue and green. You can see I also added some other colors, but mostly you see blue and green in different shades. Also note, nothing is perfect which I think adds to the whimsy of the quilt. Some points and squares are cut off because they just needed to fit.


I had 6 of these different applique blocks. Only this one felt like it belonged, so in it went. See all those half square triangles! I have a bunch of different sizes too!



Some of these are put together just like a puzzle. Strips are added or cut off, whatever it takes.

I set up my own rules ...... I can only use the orphan blocks, only strips can be added to make a block work.  I could break them but I usually don't, that makes it a challenge.
Now I have to figure out how to quilt it. In the meantime I have a lot of red, pink, green and yellow that may become quilt #2!

Kelly

10 comments:

  1. I love how you've made this all come together like it was planned just like this from the get-go. Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to set up your own rules and see where it leads. Love the whimsey. Maybe the bird is looking back, remembering this moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable. So fun and creative. And I love the colors in your quilt. Lol, anything bright now as Maine is slowly emerging from winter. Gosh, we still have snow on the ground and it will be a few weeks before I see any sign of my daffodils popping up. Thanks for sharing this beauty with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pandemic #1 is looking good. It has a natural organic vibe. Your rules are working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. shoot! I meant to come over to comment on how terrific this whole idea is, and how cute you made it but got sidetracked. Good Job Kelly, it all works together despite being made over time for other reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilt made with scraps and leftover blocks. Cute name for the quilts also. I am doing a lot of quilting myself with this extra time being at home!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a very happy quilt! Like a family that came together but are not blood relations, they fit well together and play nice. Happy, happy that they have a home now, and are no longer orphans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this quilt. It is so so Kelly.
    I look at my datebook and say - why? I don't even fill it in.
    Stay save and quilt on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finish! I'm in awe that you had so many versions of blue fabric that worked well together. Very cheerful - I'd hang it where I could see it and smile every day!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!