KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

What Book Are You Reading?


I love this vintage Santa Claus cookie jar. I don't even remember where or when I bought it. It is circa 1975, the year I graduated from high school. It is completely plastic, yeah! I can't break it!



A gift that was finished up finally, it's only been 4 years since my son, Colin and his wife, Jenny got married. They will totally not be expecting it!




One of the cousins was in charge of getting people to sign the blocks. She did the best job she could but a lot of people missed signing them. I am taking it with me on Christmas Eve to have some of the family members who got skipped over sign it.



I have a perfect holiday book for you to read. By perfect I mean you can pick it up and put it down without worrying about what you read the day or two before. It is a fascinating look at why the rooms in our homes are the way they are today. The section on ironing is enough to make me never complain about it again! Talk about drudgery....
On wash day they talk about certain fabrics being hard to clean so they would take the dress apart, clean different parts in different methods (a horror in itself) and resew it!
Who knew stale urine makes your sheets whiter! Yes, I know the question you all are asking yourself is how do you know when the urine is stale????!!!!
It is at times humorous and very informative. Did you know that before people had tables (dining) that they would sit on benches and a board would be balanced on everyone's knees to place you plates etc. Hence the name "room and board"! There are tons of interesting things to learn.
Thanks Christine for a good pick!

Kelly

12 comments:

  1. Bill Bryson is a hoot; this book sounds like another good one.
    My current read is a random pick from the library stacks. I'd not heard of it before, but it's quite good - "An Absolute Gentleman", by R. M. Kinder. Based on a true story about an English professor who is a serial killer. It's a novel, not a mystery, and well written. Not a typical Holiday read, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cookie jar!
    The signature quilt is pretty.
    I have to look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bill Bryson and had not heard about this book. Thanks. The last best book I read was The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. Perfect for February!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great cookie jar - love it.
    Congrats on the wedding quilt finish. How delighted will they be!!
    sounds like a fun read, I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool book! Love LOVE your quilt. I know they will be so excited this Christmas!!! :) Hugs, Mickie with the same santa cookie jar :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out world-class trails groomed for both skate and classic skiing, or if you desire, pristine ungroomed backcountry,[URL=http://www.northfaceapexbionicjacket.org/#1178]north face apex bionic[/URL] plenty of snow and amazing ground.Tackle trails skied by Steroids at Whistler Olympic Park or Sovereign Lake. Alternatively take ski instruction from a former Olympic coach from [URL=http://www.northfaceapexbionicjacket.org/#861]north face apex[/URL] Resort. Embark upon an adventure and discover cowboy country in skis at a guest farm at Hills Health and fitness Ranch near Williams Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is too bizarre, just reading the post and what do I see but the red applique. had to click on here to check it out and low and behold you and Suzanne are doing Sarah's Revival. Guess what I have been collecting reds to do it too. Too funny, I love the quilt and I love doing the cutaways. it is a fabulous quilt. Haven.t got the pattern yet since I have a few new ones i n the works. It will be fun to see all three.I probably should get started .
    Hope you have a Merry Christmas, loved the card it is on my fridge.
    it is 6 am and we are heading to Pa. hugs joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're loving this Bill Bryson book, you simply must read some of his others! Oh my! I laughed my head off through "In a Sunburnt Country," a book about Australia. And "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid," is awesome. That was the first book of his I read, so I knew I was on to a pretty funny guy. Bill lives in the UK now (married a Brit), but he was born in Des Moines, Iowa. The community theater there performed "Thunderbolt Kid" which I was privileged to see. It was as fast-paced and funny as the book. I'm a HUGE Bill Bryson fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like I should read some Bill Bryson books! I love your cookie jar! He looks like such a friendly Santa. The wedding quilt is wonderful, how special for them to read all those names. Wishing you the most wonderful Christmas Kelly, lots of fun festive times surrounded by friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply wish to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular and i could assume you're an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.
    Also visit my web page ... bacalao

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver loving it.
    just finished Night Ferry by Michael Robotham and The Suspect also by Robotham. just discovered this author and really like his writing.
    been reading like crazy lately. read 5 books this month. am missing the daily posts, hugs joanne

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!