KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Hotsy Totsy

I am sure everyone is so tired of hearing about how hot it is by now. I stayed in the house all day Thursday and Friday finishing up this quilt. It is for my son Colin's 30th birthday (Jenny make sure he does not read this!). His birth was the most memorable of all my kids because I had him 30 minutes after I got to the hospital. I think he will like this and it looks rather masculine.

I spent about 8 hours quilting it and I am happy with the way it turned out. The lines are very ORGANIC which stands for I can't quilt a straight line!!!


Here is a shot of the back, I forgot to take a picture of the pieced back. I really like the texture and have a tip for you if you are doing straight lines. You have to rotate it for each line of quilting. In other words, quilt top to bottom and them bottom to top, then top to bottom and so on. If you don't it will get all weird on you.

This is what our poor little Snoboy had to deal with yesterday. My husband worked out in it until 4:30 so I can't really complain. One of the best things about this weather is this....

Our first tomato of the year....don't you love the smell of the tomato leaves on your hands when you are picking them? I love it.

Oh by the way if you would go here
http://www.facebook.com/accuquilt?sk=app_162728463796906#!/accuquilt?sk=wall and vote for me that would be great. I could win an Accuquilt Go. Mine is the last one in the second row...thanks!

Keep it cool.
Kelly

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I love the smell of the tomato plant leaves!!!!
    There is just something about it that brings back all sorts of good memories too.
    I also picked my first tomato today, but yours looks a lot nicer because some critter nibbled on mine!

    Your quilt looks great and congratulations on getting it finished, I'm sure your son will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly - your quilt out of cherry woods is a wowser. I am hoarding my scrap pack for the perfect project. This could be it.

    As for tomatoes, I grew up with grandparents who had a big garden and the scent of tomatoes on my fingers transports me to another place and time. Because we're moving, we don't have plants this year and in was thinking on my way back from LQS this am that I needed to find a garden patch so I could rub the leaves. Your post was timely!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice quilting! I love the word "organic"....it makes our inperfections sound so OK!! :-) I'm sure he will love it! I'm in Vegas, are you in Phoenix? It has to be the only place hotter than here....

    ReplyDelete
  4. the quilting is so great! i love the smell of tomato plants too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no Snow boy is almost melting! Colins quilt is wonderful!! That block with 3 lines is perfect for a 30th birthday. The quilts is awesome! I really want to try some straight line quilting. Home grown tomatoes are the best! They taste a thousand times better than shop bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is gorgeous and I love the close "organic" quilting.

    The three quilts I have made so far have had minimal quilting but I'm starting to love the look of close quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's hot, hot, hot. It's cold here. Love the quilt, I think the quilting on it looks amazing, I love it. Happy birthday to Mr 30 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is perfect! I like the calm pattern, the organic quilting, and pleasing palette. I'm sure your son will love it!

    The first tomato of the season always tastes the best! My firsts were little cherry tomatoes, which didn't last long enough to make it into the house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your son's quilt is amazing, and it has a nice sturdy look to it, so he will surely get many years of use out of it! Love, love the way a tomato plant leaf smells. Made a whole tray of roasted tomatoes this weekend, and they are beyond amazing in turkey sandwiches! Found the recipe in the new Gwyneth Paltrow cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!