KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Thursday, December 16, 2021

December Post

 

I know it has been a long time since I posted. All I can say is life is busy! I am so irritated with Blogger, it loaded all my pictures backwards but I am just going with it.

I am participating in a doll quilt swap on Instagram for 2022. Since I took these pictures the center applique is complete and almost all put together. I am actually thinking of HAND QUILTING it!!! We'll see.. I wanted to get a jump on it because you know, life gets busy.


If you like to give books as gifts, I totally recommend this one. I love her ideas and her simple yet elegant ways. Check it out you will not be disappointed.



I have gotten away from applique but have found my way back. I need handworks for when I am at my bee. I bought this pattern from Lori Smith, ages ago and have decided to try and get one done every month.


This would be a nice gift for a quilter or an appliquer. It lays around your neck and has 2 lights on the end. The nice part is there are 3 different strengths of light, I love it!



I love everything about Lori Holt. She is a genius at marketing and these bags are so cute and quick to make. I have already made one and will hopefully show it sooner rather than later. It's a panel with 8 bags to make and her zippers look amazing but won't be available until next spring.


I took a class this past fall and this was the block I made. I don't love my color choices so I made it into a pillow that will be donated to the local Veteran's Hospital through my guild. So glad to not have a UFO!



This is another installment of my Anna's Baskets by Laundry Basket Quilts. So far I have kept up! I love her instructions and think I am a better piecer because of it! The fabrics are beautiful too.



I have not made a lot of presents this year. This is the Trixie Zipper Pouch by Minki Kim that is so much fun to make and easy. It looks so good when you get it finished too. My neighbor is a new sewer and we always exchange gifts, so I made this for her.



These were just too cute to not make! I also discovered The Fat Quarter Shop weekly YouTube videos that are so good! Every quilter will learn something new and they always show the newest fabrics and gadgets.


Which way do you like this straight .........

or on point? My friend Jen has an antique quilt in this pattern and I fell in love with it! I drafted my own pattern so I could have my own.


The colors are pretty similar to these. Mine is appliqued, not pieced and I figured out an easy way to do it. If you want to see how I am doing it, let me know I will do a tutorial.


Let me know which orientation you like, I am torn!


I found this vintage towel with my last name initial on it. I just love it and think it fits in with my Christmas decor.


How cute is this? The pattern is by Arabesque Scissors. Not hard to make but it's small so beware.


I t makes my December sewing all that much more fun. I love to sew seasonal thing in season, don't you?


I found this gorgeous vintage quilt and love how it is going with my theme this year of simplicity, red and white.


Seriously this is about all the decorations I have up. I love adding real greenery to the fake.


This was a kit that I finished last year, except for the binding!!!! So the binding is done for the grandchildren to enjoy this year. Thank you Carolyn and Jamie for the excellent quilting!


My simple kitchen table display.





This was a quilt that I made in 1980! It was for my parents 25th wedding anniversary. It is also hand quilted! Who am I? It's pretty rough and the binding was taking the backing and bringing it around to the front! I had only been quilting for 4 years and the supplies were very limited. I am pretty sure every fabric is polyester!



The reason this quilt came back to me is that my mom passed away October 30th. This is her passport picture from 1976. I think she would like this one.

Kelly

15 comments:

  1. I'm useless, I love your quilt both on point and straight! I would love to see a tutorial on your technique. I'm sorry your mom passed away. It is a lovely photo of her. Your Christmas decorations are perfect on the red and white quilt. Sometimes simple is better. We went crazy this year and got a 9 foot tree...we've never had ceilings this high before and I love the tree, even if it takes up most of the living room in our little 1929 bungalow! We also have a second tree on our enclosed front porch...but that's a skinny one. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your mom. I think the on point one is more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! You have a lot going on and all the projects are so beautiful. I love your idea of the Lori Smith applique for bees. I have that pattern, and I may copy you on this project. It would be lovely to see it done. I like both the orientations for the blue and white blocks, but the on-point one speaks to me more... And sending you hugs on the loss of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger irritates me to. Not only do they load them bac(wards, but now when you click on the picture you want first on the blog, all the others disappear and you have to go back each time to upload the picture you want. Gads. Why do they keep changing things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. You look a lot like her. You have been busy with all your sewing. Your new vintage red and white quilt is a beautiful find. Either way looks good with your blue and white blocks. There's something lovely and simple about a two color quilt. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sympathies in the loss of your mother...so hard to lose a loved one near a holiday. I definitely like the on point setting the best--looks much more intricate when it really isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, the good thing about waiting three-and-a-half months to post is that you have LOTS to share! Looks like you've been really busy creating! My sympathies about losing your mother. I know from experience that grief is horrible. It's good therapy to be making, isn't it? With your love of appliqué, you've set a good goal for yourself to stitch a block each month. I know how much more convenient it is to take hand-work to a quilt group, rather than haul a sewing machine, so you've made a great choice. Must mention that I have had a neck light like yours for several years now. I also bought them as gifts for grandsons, thinking they'd use them to read in bed before sleeping. I like to use mine when in front of the TV, though hubs occasionally complains, when the lights are tilted "just so" that they're reflecting off the TV!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You waited a long time to blog, but it was worth it! I requested the Marian Parsons book be purchased at my library…..I had never heard of her! I don’t watch much HGTV. I signed up for her blog! And I ordered the neck light for myself….Merry Christmas Carol! I loved each of the projects you showed and I think I like the antique pattern on point. I am keeping this entry as not read so I can go over it again and again….you gave a lot of info! Thanks! Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great and inspiring post Kelly. I like the straight setting on your blue and white.
    Thanks for the book recommendation.
    Your Holiday decorations are so festive. Love all the Red and White.
    Sorry to hear about your mom. Great photo of her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. new to your blog. love the placement of the 2nd and 3rd pic's. Yes would like to see a tutorial on this block. I find it challenging and welcome your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's tough about your mom. So sorry you're going through the holidays with that particular loss being so recent! Love the kit quilt, it looks like a winner for the kids for sure.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your blue/cream Robbing Peter blocks. I started one of those years (decades) ago using the method of hand appliqueing 4 light half circles on a dark square and 4 dark on to a light. It was a pretty easy piece to applique, a good pattern to practice applique.
    So sorry to hear about your loss, hugs!!!
    Ps Can't wait to see more of your little pink houses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May I ask for the name of the Lori Smith applique pattern - the designs are simple but oh so pleasing. I will check back for a reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt is called Friendship Circle: A Sampler Quilt. In case you couldn't tell the blocks finish at (I think) 5". So some of the pieces are small but I didn't find them too hard. I bought this as a kit at a quilt show so the fabrics were included. If you go to her web site I think she has kits for some of her patterns.
      Have fun and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply to my query. I have made a note.
      Happy New Year and happy sewing endeavours.

      Delete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!