KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Lots of Stuff Going On


I'm a Cover Girl! 😊😊😊


Last year I was contacted by 50 Plus Life magazine asking if they could do a story about my quilting. Mary from my guild gave them my name and I thank her for doing it. It is something I never would have thought about doing on my own and truthfully it was a bit daunting.

You can read it using this link Quilting Made Modern  I think Megan did a great job asking questions as a non-quilter and interpreting them into an article. How fun is the cover! They made a quilt using quilts, there's even stitching along the edges!



Some of you may remember the swap Barb Vedder organized I think in 2018. I love these blocks and wanted to get them in to a quilt. I am almost there. I also stretched and used a dark blue background instead of my usual low volume, light and airy fabrics I tend to use for the setting squares. I am so glad I did! It will be perfect for watching football (hopefully) this winter.


I have made quite a few tops the past few months. I am actually quilting one (albeit slowly) myself. I need to get some backs made to get the others finished. 


I am doing the Alison Glass Slow stitching along. I really like this but it took me forever to get to it. My stitches are needing some work but it went fast and I like my color choices.



I am doing a Sew Along for my guild and all the members made these pretty blocks for me! I am so touched that they took the time. It means a lot to me. Thank you all!



I have been painting too. I am taking an online class and you get to use an old fashioned Little Women ink pen! They are fun. This is another skill that I am learning and loving!


Some of you may have heard about a new product called Applipops. I was curious and decided to try them out. It's a way to get some pretty perfect circles for applique.
Sorry for the dark pictures, thank you Hurricane Isaias! Can you hear my generator humming through the computer?


I made a big one so now I am going try a small one. Cover the larger ring with a scrap of fabric.


Push the smaller ring into the back. It will look like this.


When you turn it over, the larger ring should look like this.


Trim your seam allowance. The directions say 1/4" or less. If you have done applique you know the smaller the seam allowance the better it looks and the easier it is to sew down flat. Go as small as you are comfortable.


I used the iron to start pushing the edges towards the center.


Take a paint brush (or a Qtip!) and put liquid starch all along the edge.


Use your iron tip to push all the edges towards the middle making sure the edges don't have any dents.
This was definitely harder with the smaller size but not that hard.
This is what it should look like.


Flip it over and it should look like this. I ironed both sides well to get a good crisp edge.


LET IT COOL! This is so important. If you don't let it cool you will lose your circle and it will be wonky.
After it is cool, pop out the smaller circle and it should look like this.


Pop out the smaller circle and there you have it, nice smooth edges and ready to sew down.


Here is the larger one with the smaller one. After you take the metal rings out, press it well and leave it until cool. Your edges will stay down better.


They come in 2 sizes. I bought both. If you are interested in them you can find them here...Applipops
Just so you know I bought these myself and am giving you my own honest opinion. I like to share what I find!


Lastly, I bought myself a book holder. While working I always am losing my papers or book. This makes it so much easier! This block might be the start of a new quilt!

Kelly

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness the Applipops look amazing! What a brilliant idea! I hadn't heard of these before so thanks for sharing. Also the first comment promoting criminal activity is horrifying, I hope you are able to delete it when you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got so excited about the Applipops that I commented before I read the article about you and your quilting. Now that I've read it though, I wanted to say I really enjoyed it. What a wonderful opportunity for you to share your passion and for others (like me) to be inspired. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an honor for you to be on the cover of the magazine! Very impressive! And I'm happy for you to be featured. You have lots of great-looking quilts and talent to share. I also see you have the same hacker-commenter (first comment) as showed up on my blog! Aren't we both "honored" by that?! NOT! Quilters seem to be on two sides during this pandemic - quiltmaking and quiltmaking without end (as proved by all your quilt tops), or not doing anything because they're in a funk. I'm glad to say that I'm on the same side as you. Getting caught up on everything in my she-cave is making me very happy. Very few UFOs or WIPs left, and it's such a good feeling! I love your colorful Sashiko stitching and agree that you chose the right colors. Those Applipop sets are interesting, and I'm glad they work well. If I ever appliquΓ© circles, I'll keep them in mind. It's so good to see you're still blogging. I find I'm blogging more than ever now, probably because I'm at home more and looking for ways to spend my time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awe that cover shot is so pretty! Very inventive and a great shot of you doing what you do... it should be framed. What a round up of ideas and projects. Love the applipop idea...I'm still painting every week, and love the look of ink over paint. I bet your garden is lush about now. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your post. It has improved my day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! You have been so productive! Seeing your churn dash blocks might inspire me to use mine.
    I love the instructions you provided for the Applipops. It looks pretty easy; I recently purchased a similar product made of acrylic so not sure I wouldn't rather have the metal circles better!
    Love your quilting, too!
    Oh and the watercolors? Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, what is the quilt in the third frame, the one with the blue triangles edging the block. I love the look of it! And your painting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I was not able to email you directly....That is my Pandemic 2020 quilt that used up some orphan blocks. If you back and look at some old posts, you can see a better picture of it.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Cover Girl! Looks like a great article. Your painting is amazing - something I’ve always wanted to be able to do. Great book/pattern holder

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the great tutorial!! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to you! Very exciting to be featured!:) Sounds like they really made an effort to listen to you and not just do lip service to people having a 'hobby'. Your watercolors look so good. Love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I'm a new reader. I've beem waiting and waiting for your next post and I love it!! Congratulations on the cover girl gig. I am entranced with those Applipops! I see a purchase in my future. I so love all the bright colors you use and the crispness of your quilts. I'll be sticking around and making a nuisance of myself probably.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the magazine article! Well deserved recognition.
    Your quilts are so colorful and happy - as is your beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!