KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Blue Skies and Sunshine


I finished up my cross stitch pin cushion that is destined as a gift. While it is not my usual taste in colors, I really like it. I ended up stuffing it with saw dust because it was free (in my husband's workshop) and I didn't feel like going to the store to get crushed walnut shells. I have to tell you I love the sawdust! It packs in there so nice and tight. It just gives it a nice body.


This is the back. the directions suggested that you line the cross stitch and the backing fabric with a light weight fusible interfacing. It was a great idea and made it feel very nice. I think it also helped when stitching down the edge by hand.


A baby quilt was quilted today, binding on tonight.


I keep miscellaneous blocks and things in a container. Usually these are blocks that were made as extras or made the wrong size. I also did some leaders and enders.


These were leftover from my half square triangle quilt.



A whole bunch of 4 patches.


Some random triangles that could easily be sewn together.


These came off the baby quilt I finished today.


These could be fun to work with.


The leaders and enders.


My leftover blocks. I hear my design wall calling!

Thank you to everyone who commented on the book, Outlander.  My friend Judie first recommended this to me. I cannot put it down! Time travel is so not my thing, but this is done very well and I can't wait to read all the rest of the books. Now to try and find that balance of reading, sewing and real life....

Kelly

12 comments:

  1. The cross stitch looks wonderful as a pincushion! Great idea to use sawdust. That baby quilt looks so lovely, I love bright fresh colours for baby quilts. What a fun collection of blocks, they'd look wonderful all sewn together. Enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colors are so bright and cheerful. So many wonderful project. The sunshine seems to have given you an extra burst of energy and creativity. Love the pincushion too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're enjoying Outlander! It's a great series of books. Love your colorful quilty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pincushion. And your scraps, in love with them. My kind of colors. Looking forward to seeing what them become.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely result with the pin cushion. I hadn't thought of using sawdust. Must try that.
    Have fun with all the bits and peices turning into something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I just last week scooped up some sawdust from beside my hubby's saw and stuffed a pincushion as well. Great minds....
    I loved all the eye candy today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for mentioning the sawdust! We have lots of it in my husband's workshop as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to dig out my summerville charm pack and make something bright and cheery!
    so glad you've fallen in love with Outlander!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pincushion turned out awesome....I would not want to stick it with pins. LOL
    I just went through all my scraps and found a baggie if hst and qst left over from other projects. I put them, and my cut squares into a small container. I need to find a project to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never in a million years would I have thought about sawdust, and it sounds perfect as a pinnie filler! I always use that fusible interfacing, too, for pincushions, and it is so helpful. Looks like you've got a heap of goodlookin' scraps there, to inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow the pin cushion is so sweet!
    What a fun and cheerful baby quilt. You have such great things going and so much fun colors.
    sunny here but cold -
    Glad to hear you like the book, maybe I'll give it one more try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo. Such a great variety of fabrics and shapes... and when all sewn together will make a wonderful jumble quilt. Oh, but didn't you know? You CAN quilt and read at the same time. I do. It's called audiobooks. Outlander is very well-read by the author, so you get the correct pronunciation on odd names like Laoghaire.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!