KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Monday, February 3, 2020

Red and Green Applique


I love red and green applique quilts. No matter what that will never change!
I have not done a big applique project in a long time. I am now making one with 9, 30" blocks for my bed. It will also have an applique border, she says with conviction! Let's see if that comes true.


I am using the freezer paper method, mostly because I want the circles and flowers to be exact. If they are not, it will drive me crazy. Usually I am not so worried but for this one I will be.
So I fused 2 pieces of freezer paper together than traced my shape and cut it out. Next I placed this template, shiny side up on the wrong side of the fabric, cut out the fabric using about a 1/4" seam allowance. Next I ironed the edges around and onto the shiny side to hold it's shape. I left the paper in while I appliqued the pieces down.


I like this method because it makes it easy for me to follow the pattern exactly.


I pinned the ever living life out of each piece and then I machine basted them down. The reason is I want to be able to "travel" with this to bees and retreats without worrying about them falling off. I have done glue basting, but I really like this method too.


The freezer paper came out very easy. I think just be conscious of sewing the very edge and not the freezer paper. The bonus is the templates will be able to be used again.


I also made a big switch from silk thread to Aurifil #80 weight. So far I love it and it sews just like silk. I had an issue using silk with a quilt a made for my son and daughter in law. The silk started coming  apart on the applique! I have heard very good reviews for this so I am giving it a try



I have come to terms with the center. I am totally changing it. I will show it once it is sewn together. See all those pins!!!


Applique is time consuming yet very soothing. I have started a basket quilt, because life is short and I want to make all the quilts! The handles go very fast and the rest of it is sewn by machine, a perfect mix in my book. I will post pictures later with some finished blocks.

Kelly

8 comments:

  1. Your handwork is lovely. I can't see any stitches. And wow, you go the extra mile by cutting away the backing. I'm too lazy for that! Inspiring to see such lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swoon...red and green quilts. Your quilt is sure to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, thank you for this post and the new, to me at least, notes on applique! Beautiful work!
    ~ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beatiful applique work. I used freezer paper in the past but than I dicovered wash away applique. It really washes away when the quilt is being washed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sentiment, life is short I want to make all the quilts. trademark and make t-shirts!
    Your applique looks incredible. I love that you found the method that works for you. Great center. what sized needles do you use?
    I adore applique and I'm in limbo as I finished my whig rose center. Hhhmm, need to get something going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing good things about Aurifil #80 weight thread. Will have to try it some day. Your applique is looking so fabulous. Very sharp and clean lines. Good for you to trade out the center if you don't care for it! Always fun to make a pattern our own.:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!