KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Happy New Year 2020


Happy New Year about 2 weeks late! How is everyone doing with those resolutions? I don't do them but choose to do goals instead.
One of my goals is to start a new sew along with some friends. This is the first block and it is due to be finished on January 31. The cutting is very slow.....in order to make it scrappy. I like the happy colors.


It came as a kit. It's called Spotted by Zen Chic. I decided just to go with the kit instead of finding all the fabrics. I am going to change up the setting though so stay tuned.


For something totally different....My daughter and her family will be moving in the spring. She has been furiously cleaning out closets and bedrooms and playrooms the past few weeks.


We found a bunch of her dresses she wore as a baby. Remember Polly Flinders dresses? I loved them and bought them for her all the time for special occasions.


The details are beautiful and so very vintage. Her baby, Piper is getting baptized later this month and we decided it would be fun for her to wear after the baptism. One is pink and one is white, she is going to wear the white one.
These brought back such wonderful  memories and I love that she is going to use them for her daughter. I got all the stains out with Oxy Clean, soaked over night in case you want to know. I took them to the dryer cleaner's to be pressed with light starch and to fix the elastic in the arms of one dress. I was a little shocked to see the $89.00 bill!


This was one of my all time favorites from Strawbridge and Clothier from 1983! She wore it on her first air plane ride to Illinois for my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary.
These dresses are timeless and maybe one of my great-granddaughters will wear one?



During the blog hop in December, Judy from Small Quilts and Doll Quilts had a give away and I was the winner! I won these adorable pillow covers and can't wait until next year to use them. Thank you Judy!

Kelly

7 comments:

  1. Polly Flinders! My mom bought those for me years ago. She wished she had kept them for my own daughter. And so do I. I certain was not able to afford them. I am not sure they were even still available. But those look brand new! Precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara I was not able to reply to your email so I hope you see this!
      They do look brand new and I am so excited to see Piper in the dress. I will be sure to post a picture of her wearing it!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, that kit looks great! (I've never purchased a quilt kit.) The fabric colors are wonderful! Love that you found a use for an old Polly Flinders dress. My daughter wore them too, and I smocked and sewed a whole bunch of dresses, rompers, jumpsuits for her too! I saved them all, for a "someday" granddaughter, and then had four grandsons. :-( I still have all of them and wonder what to do with them. I've been told to "save them for a great-granddaughter" but I wonder if I'll even be around to see that happen. Happy for you to have won a giveaway. Isn't the a fun experience? My last, and favorite win was to receive all the EPP papers and templates for the Prudence Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun new colorful project. So many pieces - wow
    What a sweet dress. I'm not familiar with the brand name, but my SIL had loads of dresses like this and Hanna wore one of her to a family wedding. I loved the tradition. I took a smocking class decades ago and made my niece a little pink dress. These little dresses touch my heart.
    $89? unreal how much things cost now. I keep thinking it isn't keeping up with wages these days.
    Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty blocks! Congratulations with winning those cute pillow covers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new project looks to be such a good fit for you! Very happy colors. Love the little dresses. Brings back so many memories.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new project! What fun colors. I really like Zen Chic fabrics. I've never indulged in a quilt kit, but this one could be worth it. It'll be fun to see what you do with this!
    I love those little dresses! They are so sweet and pretty. The smocking is amazing. And what fun to have them for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!