KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Cool Tools





How cute is this fabric? It is by Cotton and Steel. I am participating in a swap. We are to make a One Hour Basket and fill it up with some goodies. We are swapping with the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild. It really did only take an hour except I was taking pictures and I do a bit more pressing than it says in the directions.


This fabric is like a heavy linen and perfect for this project.


 This is like a linen cotton which was the first time I have used this in a project. It worked well!


To make the handles was pretty easy overall.


I bought this heat proof ruler just for this reason. I can never get those edges even and looking nice.


Look how nice and perfect they look!


It made it super easy to fold over, press and stitch.


Here is another come in handy kind of tool. A pressing stick for small areas that are hard to get the iron into so you can get crisp seams.


 Look how nice and flat that seam is, yeah!!


I also have a whole bunch of churn dashes to make before March. I do a few every day so it is not so overwheming.

I cut my strips in half which added to my workload but definitely are more accurate. It was worth the extra time. So they were 20" lengths instead of 40".


I am getting ready to do something I haven't done in a very, very long time! So far so good!

Kelly



8 comments:

  1. Your basket is so darn cute. Also, I think it is so smart of you to break those HSTs down into smaller stages so you don't go crazy! I do that some times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute basket! And I think you have beautiful workmanship- but always fun to get some cool new tools! I’m anxious to see more about your new project - I am a new grandma of a girl, with another granddaughter due in one month! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of getting pressing strips. Do you use them on the pieced strips for the churn dash blocks? I am also in Barb's swap. Great idea to cut the strips in half for better accuracy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like the strip stick. It really helps flatten seams. Very cute bucket!
    I am cutting 10" strips sets - 1 per block. Love your pretty kelly blue!
    garment sewing - good luck - can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you joining the Baltimore guild as well as Lancaster? I’ve thought about it but meeting time is not good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of the fabric you made your basket out of and it inspired me to made one also. Yours is beautiful. I have to find those pressing tools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. The fabric in the basket is lovely. I like the swap idea, too.
    I also like the lovely blue in the churn dash blocks.
    The pressing tools look interesting and it is always good to hear from someone who has used them.
    Have fun with the little dresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow !!! beautiful and so lovely,i really like your good idea so much.Thank for sharing.

    หนังเกาหลี

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!