KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

January Days


The cold January days have arrived here. I don't mind winter because I love being home and working on inside projects. It also allows lots of cooking and baking which I don't like in the summer.
I'm trying to take a more "embrace the season" approach rather than wishing it away. Time is already going too fast. I want it to slow down.
I have always wanted to make a red and green quilt, especially applique. These blocks are giant, 30"! I am hoping to make 9.......let's hope that happens!
The pattern is called Radical Rose by Collector With a Needle. You can find the pattern to buy HERE.


I am limiting my fabrics, only 4 to try and keep it true to a red and green quilt. I don't care for rusty reds and wanted a more pinkish red. I also wanted bright clear greens to make it feel more modern yet still traditional.


I'm not loving the center but I am not changing it. I may put a circle in the center just because it looks too much like a blob. Maybe green?


The little flowers on the end also get a circle, maybe they will all be the same green. I will do the circles before they are applied to the background. I also really like this background, not solid, yet subtle.


So I am doing this a bit different than I have in the past. I am pinning the pieces down, using the pattern underneath for placement. Next I want to thread baste these down so I can take it to bees and sewing retreats. I feel like this is a better method than glue because it is so big and they will be more secure. Any thoughts on this? I am a little nervous about this step......

I also prepped my pieces using freezer paper and ironed them around the edges, with the exception of those hand looking shapes (I only did one!) it worked well and I think the sewing will go pretty fast. It also allows me to place them exactly. As with all applique there is give and take on the prep work.


I came across this fabric at Joann's the other day. I felt like it is something I needed to have in the stash. I remember being at the fabric store as a 12 year old girl, dreaming about sewing up something amazing! Plus there is the vintage vibe.


Have you tried Sous Vide yet? I have so far only made steak using it but it is wonderful! I am not very good at making steak but this makes it fool proof. I am making them today, putting them in the fridge for tomorrow for my husband Bob's birthday. Google it, you may decide you need one!

Kelly



7 comments:

  1. No tips on the applique. I tend to pin a lot and just deal with it but I'm sure there are lots of other great ways to do it and make it more portable! I love the reds and greens that you usually choose. So cheery looking. The background fabric here is wonderful! Perfect choice. I'm still in love with your red Lone Star quilt with the applique in the corners. One of my all time faves.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new applique project! That background is perfect and I really like your choices of reds and greens. I agree, they have a modern vibe. I think basting your pieces on is a good idea if your will be moving it around a lot. But I'm not really an applique-er, so my opinion doesn't really count for much. LOL

    You'll have to let us know how the Sous Vide steaks turn out. I've never heard of that cooking method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A red & green applique quilt is on my stitchy bucket list too! Looks like you've got a wonderful start on yours! I've been spending too much time in the kitchen experimenting with baking lately...lol...maybe this weekend I'll take a break from bread and get back to the quilts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your applique project! I keep starting and not finishing my project - maybe I just need happier fabric choices like yours! That will be a spectacular quilt with 9 gorgeous blocks! Love the retro sewing fabric too - I made that swim coverup pattern, but a longer knee length version, for my mom. She wore it around the house every day for years, while making breakfast. Mem'ries....

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty. I fondly remember going to 'cloth world' and looking through patterns and fabric to make my clothes. Lots of sundresses, halter tops, shorts for Florida

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a awesome porject with Dawn's pattern. It's very modern with the bright clear colors. I might have to check out that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project and you are doing a fabulous prep job. Just want to float that you can change the center to a motif that you love. You can make it yours. I also think adding a berry would look good.
    I'm so impressed that you are cooking sous vide! I've seen it on cooking shows but haven't tried.
    We use an instant read probe thermometer for steaks. Happy Birthday to Bob

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!