KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Monday, June 25, 2018

Pillowcase Tutorial


Pillowcases are a fun, easy summer project.


Make 1 or 100!


You can make them with a friend,


a beginner sewer,


even a child!


 I made some for all of my grandchildren, except Brynn who is not allowed to have a pillow-yet.


I am also making some for our guild charity project. This tutorial is for anyone wanting a quick, fun project.
I am just going to throw this out there.......if you want to make one for a child in the hospital I would be happy to have you send me one. We are collecting them at the September meeting and looking to have a bunch! Just email me at kellymx@aol.com for details.

This is a super duper easy one!

Main body fabric 3/4 of a yard. I did use flannel for 2 of them, but it just made it by the skin of it's teeth. You must wash it first because it shrinks a lot! I am suggesting good quality quilting cotton in a fun print.

Cuff fabric 1/3 of a yard in a co-ordinating print, this is a good way to use up some of your smaller yardage.


From the cuff fabric trim 10" wide, the selvadge is at the top, fold at the bottom.


Trim the edges to measure 41"


For the main body of the pillow case trim to ends to measure 41" again the selvadge is at the top


 Trim the sides so it measures 27" wide


Lay the cuff right side up on your table


Lay the body of the fabric on top of the cuff also right side up matching edges


Roll the body of the pillowcase up as shown above


As you can see there is the cuff fabric on the bottom, the body fabric in the middle and I am enclosing it all with the bottom of the cuff fabric, pin well


Sew this altogether using a 1/4" making sure not to get the body of the pillow case in the seam allowance. Now you see why they call it the hot dog or taco method.


Pull the body out of the end of the cuff


It will look like this. The edges of the cuff are completely encase to prevent fraying.


Lay the pillowcase on your table WRONG  sides together. YES Wrong sides together. Say it again, wrong sides together......


Sew with a scant 1/4", I do it more than a scant to make sure those edges will be hidden.


Once you have sewn it all around, (wrong sides together) turn it so the RIGHT sides are now together, press and sew all around with a 3/8"seam allowance. This is called a French seam and it keeps all those raw edges hidden and looks nice and neat.


This is called The Purple Thang and it is a great tool to poke out those corners. Be sure to do it gently so you don't poke a hole in your pillowcase.


Press it and you are done! I have timed myself and was able to sew one in 15 minutes. These directions are all over the internet and I do not know who started them or I would give them credit. I think they would be happy to know these are going to charity!
Let me know if you have any questions or if you are interested in sending me some pillowcases!

Kelly

29 comments:

  1. Thanks Kelly for the pillowcase tutorial. Just this past weekend, I was looking at cute fabric and thinking on making one or more. Yes, it would be a perfect learn-to-sew project for a kid especially during the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Cute cases!!!
    great tutorial I'll be bookmarking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super easy!
      Do you receive this, my reply?

      Delete
  3. Great instructions! And I love the idea of making them with the grandkids. My grandson is always trying to figure out what to sew!
    Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I went by to say hello, since I've been disconnected from everything for a long time. As always I love your work. That I still think that they are not chapucillas, but great works. A kiss.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

  5. السلامه عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته نحن فى شركة الكمال نقوم بافضل واقوى المبيدات العالميه الموجودة

    التى تقضى على جميع الحشرات الطائره والزاحفة وابادة الحشرات
    شركة

    مكافحة حشرات بالطائف

    شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان
    شركة مكافحة حشراتةبحائل
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بحائل
    والسلامة عليكم وحمة الله وبركاته

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for providing such a great Information, you can see

    ReplyDelete
  7. تقوم شركتنا المؤسسة الأولي في ميدان نقل الأثاث والاثاث ببابها في إدخار افضل خدمة تغليف نقوم بها في عملية تغليف الأثاث والأثاث بأسلوب وعناية فائقة الدقة والأمان، فكل قطع من قطع العفش تتطلب إلى التغليف بأسلوب خاصة فالأثاث له كيفية للتغليف والزجاج أيضاًً له أسلوب للتغليف وايضا محتويات النيش والأدوات الكهربائية والأجهزة كل تلك القطع لا تتشابه أسلوب تغليفها عن القطعة الأخرى ولكل قطعة منهم طريقتها المخصصة في التغليف التي تقوم علي حمايتها من أي ضرر أو تلفيات أو خدوش أو كسور.
    شركة نقل عفش
    شركة نقل عفش من الرياض الى الاردن
    شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى الاردن
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is actually a terrific web site. Feel free to visit my website;

    ReplyDelete

  9. Hello there, You have performed an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m confident they will be benefited from this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hard to ignore such an amazing article like this.

    ReplyDelete

  12. Thanks for sharing this marvelous post. I m very pleased to read this article.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankѕ for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate you efforts

    ReplyDelete

  14. Thanks for your excellent blog and giving great kind of information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Post for Beginner to understand. I finally found great post here. Thanks for information. Keep sharing more articles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Youre so right. Im there with you. Your weblog is definitely worth a read if anyone comes throughout it

    ReplyDelete

  17. Hi, all is going well here and of course every one is sharing facts, that's really fine, keep up writing

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!