KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Long Time Gone!




My Wild Turkey Quilt! I love Thanksgiving, it is my favorite holiday I thought it would be appropriate to make a quilt for the occasion. The  pattern is free and you can find it at Wisconsin Quilting I will warn you now, it is not a beginner pattern. There are no real directions and I made several mistakes before I got the hang of how this went together. I kind of liked the challenge!


I chose to make mine with non traditional colors, and I am glad I did. I love the brightness it will add to my favorite holiday. Some straight line quilting made it go fast and worked with the pattern and did not overpower it.


I really did not want a binding to break the design so I chose to do a faced finish. If you have never tried this I highly recommend it for more "artsy" type of quilts. If you google "facing a quilt" I am sure you will find lots of methods.



My friend, Helen from New Jersey had a workshop at her amazing studio with Lorraine Turner. Lorraine is a fiber artist from Florida. This was our project. I still want to change a few things about mine and do the thread painting.


These are not fused and not glued (I did cheat). I like her techniques and will be happy to get this one done.


Now I will get back to a Christmas/Winter quilt that really hits my vintage and modern buttons! This is very similar to the Santa I did last year. You can see that one HERE.



Last but not least,  little baby Piper is growing fast. She is already 2 months old! I love it when they start to smile. She's getting a little chubby too 😊


I adore this picture so much! Helen gave her this little sweater. Babies in handmade clothes are the cutest ever!



We also have a major renovation going on. My daughter and her family bought a house, are gutting it and making it their own. This shot is looking out from the study into the garage, of course you can see that! I will share pictures as it goes along.
I'm going to make a goal of trying to post once a week. Life has been busy, too many workshops for me! While I love them it adds to the UFO pile.

Kelly

6 comments:

  1. Piper is just so cute!! Don't you just love baby's grins? Such joy...
    I really like that owl..really neat...the turkey looks H A R D for sure...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable baby, what a smile. Your turkey is amazing - so modern and bold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful creative work ~ and gorgeous baby photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Friend! It was so nice to see your post this morning. Your Tom Turkey is just great! If it was a challenge for you, I'm out. I'm so not great at paper piecing.
    Piper is adorable and it will be fun to see the reno progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandchildren are the best.:) Your Turkey quilt is so fun and whimsical looking! Love the stitching texture too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your turkey is absolutely wonderful ! Congratulations on this finish !!
    Piper is soooo adorable !! Enjoy Kelly !!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!