KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Wow, You Have Spoken!

First of all I know you all love pictures, I still think you might like to read what some people have said about blogging. If not just look at the pretty pictures!

I got about 44 comments about blog comments. I answered every email I got except for the no reply comments. Unfortunately I have no way of answering you. If you read through some of the comments I put in here, you will see there are lots of reasons for why it is/isn't working.
I don't know what the answers are to trying to improve this. From now on I will put my email at the end of each post so you can contact me if you want.


I am totally hooked on doing pot holders. I loved these as a kid! The loops they have now are gorgeous and cotton.
So here are some of the comments.......


"I still read and enjoy blogs but I am often guilty of not taking the time to comment. There are no blogger issues that I know of that are affecting me, I sometimes just read in a hurry and move on. I know that shortchanges the blogger who put lots of time into the post. I will try to remember that! I have never done facebook, nor do I intend to. Our son told my husband and me years ago that parents and grandparents have ruined facebook. We took it as our sign we should not sign up! Actually, he's not all that into it either, but I know lots of people are. I don't do Instagram either, although I may, someday." From LM


I have been making them when I watch TV at night.

"I have a couple of thoughts here, about blogging. I think a lot of people read blogs and then 'pin' an idea without making a comment. Sad, but if you look up your Pinterest page, you'll see what I mean. From that I occasionally get an email from someone who would like the pattern of a quilt I've made and they saw on Pinterest! Blogger has changed in recent days. It's at the top of your 'Posts' page in the yellow box. It mentions Google+ comments etc. I had a long time follower tell me she had trouble leaving a comment so I think that has something to do with it. Another reason could be that some blogs which have advertising all over them turned me off following them. Finally there are still well known bloggers out there who write wonderful blog posts but don't bother to answer comments!! Why would I waste my time on them? Not that you are in that realm Kelly! I love, love, love your temperature quilt! The colour palette you chose is gorgeous! Oh, and IG is quicker too!"  From SS


They also come in a bigger size too. This loom is a 10" size which makes wonderful trivets.

"I love visiting blogs and seeing lovely quilts but I do not always take the time to comment since I visit a lot of blogs. If i would comment on every blog I read i would not have time to do anything else. I do not visit instagram and am not fond of facebook. That trinket project looks very interesting. And the temperature quilt is lovely." This if from a no-reply commentor (KV) I cannot respond to her because I don't have her email! 
And this one too!....... "I just want to say that I don't leave comments too often simply because I lack time, not because I'm bored. I always enjoy the blogs." from M.


I am loving the Trinket Sew Along. It's easy enough to keep up with, at least for now!

This is from a local friend...."Hey Kelly I just left a comment on your blog and I see the comment published. It’s really short because the longer comment I made first didn’t appear when I hit publish. It said “publishing” but never showed up. Also, I get your blog in my email but to comment, I have to hit the link on the bottom to get to the blog on the web. An extra step. And I read all the comments too! So a little aggravating. 
I have had a heck of a bad time with my Wordpress blog. Just spent $150 trying to fix it. And it’s not fixed totally! I won’t go into the details because we have different platforms. But I noticed that something was screwy because I stopped getting comments." T


The blocks are pretty colorful! These were the ones for the first 2 weeks.

"It's hard for some people to leave comments. For instance I get email notices of your post and read it there. You can't comment from there, to comment I have to come over to the actual blog. Nothing wrong with blogging, it's so much better than just getting a picture out of the blue, to me. It holds content in one location. You can do in depth tutorials or write stories. I find it much better than instagram. I will not do FB, never have and won't. I am the same as you with views/comments. Every so often I get an email from someone who says she's been reading for years but never comments! I lost a lot of views when G+ went away as people followed thru that. There are changes happening but this is still the best format for me to write in, and read. We're not alone.
We also do not need 5000 likes a day, or followers to be connecting with people, that's a product of social media that to say more is better. Actually it's better to share something real with a few people who really get you, and enjoy you. It's a real connection, right?" LA 



These are for the upcoming weeks. I am 3 weeks ahead. Just in case.... Don't you love that little strawberry?

"I saw your post from Friday and wrote a very long comment in reply, only to have it disappear when I pressed "submit".  Twice.  Now, it may be that it's gone into a moderation queue, but if that's the case then you haven't checked your blog for new comments in two days.  From a reader's point of view the comment is gone and the twenty minutes I took to write it were completely wasted.  That only has to happen a couple of times and people don't bother any more. I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just telling you what happened to me" From D


My sewing table is in organized chaos mode. A few projects at the same time!

"I still love reading blogs! Sometimes I think no one could possibly be interested in my comment, sometimes I can’t think of anything original to say, and sometimes I am just plain lazy. See? It’s not about you. It’s all about me! I do unsubscribe from the blogs that no longer interest me. I do think Instagram has spoiled us. We just want to clock a little heart and move on to the next pic. Thank you for taking the time to blog!" From M


My hand applique project is moving right along. I have missed applique, my first love in hand work.

"Instagram hasn't killed blogging but it has revealed a separation of the quilting world based on time availability and personality types.  For people who are impatient or time-poor, Instagram is good because it's easy to load a picture and a very brief description, and even easier to browse hundreds of pictures in a few minutes.  For people who want to read and describe things in more detail, though, the blog remains the best format.  Most blogging sites host images now, and once you've worked out each site's little wrinkles it doesn't take much more effort to post something on a blog.  There's also more flexibility with tagging and searching (at least on WordPress, my site -- I use "categories" for general terms that would be common to many blogs, and "tags" for individual project titles -- this gives me searchability both from outside and within the blog).  I also like the way that each site allows you to curate a reading list (from all platforms) so that I'm not overloaded with email notifications and I can skip a day or two if I'm just not feeling quilty (rare, but it does happen). 

Commenting is definitely sparse now, possibly because of cross-platform issues and spam-control measures -- if you aren't logged into that specific site it may be difficult to gain access to the comment function (Captcha etc).  For those who only read blog posts by email it may be even harder to respond.  And obviously those who are particularly impatient or time poor prefer the two seconds it takes to press a "like" button to the several minutes it takes to make a comment.

I think that blogging quality (as opposed to quantity) is now deteriorating in one respect and improving in another.  I see a lot of repetition (ad nauseam) from some professional and semi-professional bloggers who believe that they absolutely have to post every day even when they are just repeating 95% of what was blogged yesterday and the day before and the day before that (do they really have to show the latest four out of a hundred log cabin blocks?).  Even blog hops are things I scroll past now because 80% of the content will be promoting the blog hop itself (banners and date/host lists) and only 20% the blogger's actual contribution.  In contrast, some bloggers post less frequently but their posts are longer, more informative and less repetitious, and they are the ones I like to read.  I also think that this second group of bloggers will remain and maybe even expand in proportion as time goes by." By D

This is a favorite fabric!

So what do you think? I will still blog but as you can see I don't do it as often as I have in the past. I use this platform as my own quilt diary and to share and inspire with all of you. I do try to speak with my own voice and show you things I think you will like (potholders!!!) that aren't always quilt related.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to tell me what you thought. I don't necessarily need the comments but it is nice to know you are out there!

Kelly
kellymx@aol.com

17 comments:

  1. I still love blogs AND pictures. Your blogger stats should give an indication of how many of us are tuning in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please continue your blog. Love your quilts, paintings and your book selections/reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your little blocks and the orange peel with the modern fabrics is adorable.
    As for blogging, I am a blogger and find myself less interested in blogging as much as I had before. I found the comments you posted very interesting.
    Thanks for raising this important subject!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your potholders and makes me want to get out my supplies and make some. where do you get the cotton loops?
    The orange peel blocks are so sweet and your trinkets are fun.
    great post - thanks for sharing more comments and thoughts on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly, As a fellow blogger I want to tell you how much I appreciate a substantive post. If I just want pix I'd follow a quilter on Instagram. I'd love to say more, but I want to see if I can actually post this comment on your platform. I've had problems before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back to that last post to see if my comment ever posted. It had not but I did see the note from Barb that said google plus was an issue. I will try anonymous and see if that will actually post. sigh. technology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. always appreciate your colourful blog posting, though I am guilty of not always commenting. I do love your orange peel blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. where did you get you potholder loom and loops? I have one from the 50's. would like a larger one. I love you blog. Always look forward to it

    ReplyDelete
  9. now that was fascinating. I used to make pot holders but yours reflect your quilting background. I like trinket and haven't seen it, also enjoy your leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I left you a belated response on the what happened to blogging post just now (I've been ill and unable to focus on the computer screen - thankfully I'm much better now). Anyway - blog when you will and share what you want. It is YOUR blog and you should be able to do it your way. (and I agree about the blogs with advertising and constant promotions that you referenced in this post).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty potholders, if you hook 2 together you won't be burned as easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Organised Chaos.! Love it! And I loved D’s comment. What she said was very accurate and insightful! Thanks for the pretty pictures of your current projects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for blogging and all the pretty pix...especially the updates on your weaving. I love quilts. I am constantly working on them but I love the weaving for car trips or soccer games or...anywhere I can't haul my machine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colorful potholder is especially sweet! Makes me want to redecorate my kitchen in bolder colors! Love the sweet bee fabric in the orange peel block. I used the very last bits of mine up the other day in coin strips.:) So interesting to read through all the comments about blogging. I really enjoyed the discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your blog and hope you continue as time permits...lol...making and selling potholders was my first job...sold them door to door for 50 cents each....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the multicolored potholder. It would make a great quilt. I adore the colors. I am glad you are continuing to blog. I only read blogs on my computer because I like the big format. Instagram is on my phone and way too small. I love reading blogs like yours.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!