KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

No Snow Day


Imagine my surprise yesterday when the mail came and there was a fabric post card! I wondered which sewing friend sent it and was surprised that my SIL Kate from Idaho, who doesn't sew, sent it to me!



If was a nice thing while watching the weather reports of the snowmageddon that was headed our way. Although we weren't to get as much as some of the New England states, we barely got 3" the kids only had a 2 hour delay! I am totally fine with that, now I can go about my days without trying to deal with the roads and ice.



I am probably one of the few people that still carries a checkbook. Most people have debit cards, I don't have one and don't want one. I made this cover years ago and  realized it was looking pretty rag tag, not to mention dirty and boring.


I pulled out some heavier weight fabrics to make a new one.



My first mistake was to use a fusible interfacing, I could barely turn it.The heavy weight fabric was good enough all by itself.



Second. I should have paid attention to where the little cups and bowls were so when I closed it you would see something cute instead of all that gray. Also look how lumpy it looks.



Enter in some new fabric and a second try at it.



That's better, this is the outside.



The inside.


And closed. I like it much better and it didn't take that long to make.



I am not even rescuing the fabric!

Kelly

5 comments:

  1. I'm relieved to hear you're not too affected by the snow. Bob will be busy with his snow plow. That lovely post card would have brightened your day. I love your new cheque book cover. It's a shame the second one didn't work but the 3rd one is a winner with that gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No debit card here either...no smart phone either! Social media is consuming people's lives and don't trust on-line banking. I guess I'm old... Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect example of making the most of learning from mistakes. The second one is perfect. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the second is just right! But love the fabric of it away. We got about a 1/2 inch which was just fine here as well! It would have been a disappointment if I was planning to snow dye however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cute postcard. I had to laugh out load when I saw the toss outs.... been there.
    Your new cover looks great!
    I love love the view master fabric! I just bought some vintage reels at an antique shop!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!