KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Some Days.....


I decided on a star block for the baby quilt I want to make. It is going to be pink stars with every other block a plain polka dot. Sounds pretty simple and straightforward right?
This only took me 2 HOURS to make!


I drew my size out on graph paper, a 6" star. A good start.


Next came the math.....not my favorite part at all....I am also thinking of my friend Terry right now for some reason.....
Ok, so I do remember how to convert fractions, but do I have the right fractions?????


I wanted to use the same technique I used to make these flying geese blocks.  But oh, how to figure it all out!!!
Then I remembered that Sophie from Sophie Junction sent me her tutorial page on how to make them any size your heart desires! Yes now I am saved from doing math!!!! Do go check it out, save it, pin it on Pinterest or print it out so you have it if you like this method.



So now you would think I am down the home stretch right? Uh no, I sewed the flying geese wrong. The pink and white fabrics should be switched. Now while this does not look bad, it is not the look I am going for here.


Next once I finally got them sewn correctly, I sewed it on the center square the wrong way. Will I ever get this sewn right?


I finally did but not before I cut the corner squares the wrong size too! Maybe this was a day to walk away from the sewing machine....
I know now that directional fabric will drive me crazy making this block. This was to be an experimental block (I'll say it was!). I have enough of the polka dot fabric to do the whole quilt so that will stay. I also pressed the seams open which I seem to be doing more and more. I like how it makes the block nice and flat, especially smaller blocks.

Kelly

18 comments:

  1. Well, it was worth the effort because it's a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days really are like that aren't they. But your block got there in the end and looks wonderful. It's going to be such a fun baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute block. Love the colors.Somedays the seam ripper gets a work out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. me gusta este bloque!!!
    sera un edredón muy tierno
    me encantan los topitos (lunares)
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days are just like that. I have a great book from Martingale Press called Around the BlOCK with Judy Hopkins. There are 200 rotary cut blocks in 6 sizes. I love that book for quilts like this. Glad you figured this out. Looks like it's going to be a sweet little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this afternoon I was sewing 2 ends of binding together and didn't realize I had one twisted...hummm doesn't work that way...picking time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sympathize with you. I have decided that I cannot have people, tv etc. bothering me when I am figuring out the sizes and color location. At least you discovered your problem quickly. I have picked out an entire 'spools - string quilt" after I did it backwards. Not fun. Looks like a great color plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for all your math and cutting headaches with this block. Some days, it's the simplest stuff that can trip us up. Hope the rest of the stars go together like a piece of cake! Quilting is supposed to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh we have all had thoes kind of days. I ended up throwing away a farmer's wife block yesterday because no matter what I did it just was not right. Yours turned out cute. As for the directional fabric, do not worry about it. It will look fine any way the quilt is turned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you were writing that it took you 2 hrs to make the entire quilt. Oops! It would be a dynamite quilt though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny post! This reminds me some personal similar experiences! I since avoid maths and directional prints! Your block looks great anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some days I just turn around and walk out of the room!! HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will you be going to the Hershey Show? Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are sewing day and sometimes unsewing days. Your block looks cute. The next day you work on it will be a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We all have days like this! Admitting to my inner nerd, however, I do love figuring out a new pattern (size, proportions, etc.). Your block is quite charming ~ what is that pink print? Very effective in this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bad sewing day but great block. I admire your perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how I've had days like this as well! LOL The kind that are only funny in hindsight. ;o)

    Glad you got it sorted the way you wanted, Kelly, as this will make a darling quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I have been there! isn't is frustrating and humbling? This is the called the "simple star" block lol
    I know you'll win in the end!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!