KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Monday, March 3, 2014

Henry Ate The Quilt


Our snow barely materialized. We got maybe an inch after they were forecasting 12" at one point. It still messed up the morning with icy roads. So with a whole day ahead of me I was not in much of a sewing mood.


I made this pot holder a few years ago and it looks it. I liked the size 5 x 9. It's the kind that you bend in half to use.


I am not sure how this happened..


Remember this cool fabric? It is more like a decorator weight. It will hold up better than regular cotton.

 The back.


I have been holding on to these fabrics waiting for something to do with them.

 The back.


I opted not to bind them as I know what they will look like in a few years. I have 5 more cut out, ready to sew.


My nod to Mad Men, love this back. In a way they kind of look like mini pads????



Okay, now about Henry......He is my son Dylan's dog. Apparently when he was a puppy he snacked on this quilt. It is very Thimbleberries, flannel, circa 1990's. I remember making this for him when he lived in West Chester with some buddies. To save money they kept the heat real low. If we went over we went in the spring and still kept our coats on ( :


 In no way shape or form did I have any of that fabric leftover! So rather than try to match it I let the flaw shine for all to see. It is in the washing machine now to make sure it held up. Yes or no? What do you think? Would this bug you? would you have to match it up better?

Kelly

18 comments:

  1. I love your new pot holders, such fun fabrics!! I think the way you've mended that quilt is fine. It's a utility quilt so it didn't need to be a restoration job, and at least it's fixed and can be used again. It adds to the story of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your patch adds character (like wrinkles or grey hair!) to the quilt! Better that than throw it away! Cute pot holders too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those pot holders. As for the quilt repair - great job. (see Rachaeldaisy's comment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!! Love all the potholders!!!! I need to make me a bunch!!!!! The quilt repair would not bother me!!!! I see it as loved and used!!!! Looks like it has a lot more loving to take!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's fine :) Done is better than perfect, and now the quilt can get back to being useful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new pot holders. The fabrics make all of us smile. If your son's quilt only needed that patch, that's not bad. Your fix-it patch looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so when you do not feel like sewing you get more done on a day when I want to sew. I may have to borrow your idea for the longer pot holder, super smart.
    As for your son,s quilt, that is just what I would have done too!
    BTW, did you use insul bright in your pot holders?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those potholders are so cute -- love those fabrics! As for fixing the flaw - I say embrace it -- it adds character and a story anda good story is always fun -

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pot holders are fun and a great way to use bits and pieces.
    I would be happy with the mended quilt the way you have done it. That's now a part of this quilt's story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such cute fabrics Kelly! You have the best selection of retro prints. I love the new patch you added to the old quilt. I think that's what this thing, quilting is about isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. wouldn't bother me at all, but then I love the "make do" look in most things.
    Coco chewed a section of her quilt, maybe I'll take a page from your play book and fix it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your fun potholders and your patch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such nice hot pads. Did you use insulated batting inside? And the patch on the quilt is perfect. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cute pot holders and the quilt repair looks just fine to me.
    I have had to repair puppy snacks before and this looks like a great way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable pot holders! You find the cutest fabrics! And the patch? Well done-I just fixed one if my quilts that had dog chew holes in it. I cut leaf shapes from a print, appliqued them on front and back, and kept on walking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pot holders are so cute!!! Your patch would not bother me one bit. It is the right color and saves the quilt for lots more cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Oh These are too cute!! I TOO love an oblong pot holder……but don't have any!!! LOL, I love your old greasy burnt ones….I have plenty that look like that too and every time I pull one out I have a mental thought of WHY do I STILL have these ugly ole things with a room upstairs FULL of fabric….????

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sure like the shape of your pot holders...great idea. I, too, need to make some new ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!