KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Charity Begins at Home

My sister in law, Ann asked me if I would donate a quilt for a breast cancer charity auction that was held last weekend. I looked through some quilts and thought this might be one that people would bid on. It was made as a challenge for the Calico Cutter's Quilt Guild. I hand dyed the background fabric and did a little thread painting. I really like the sky as I think it worked perfect with the setting sun. The person that won it really wanted it, which makes it a little easier to part with the quilt.

This a is a breast cancer pillow case for women who have undergone surgery. Lee who is a  member of both, Calico Cutter's and Penn Oaks encourages us to make them every year. They are very quick and easy to make. We make them with pink fabric and I thought this toile was nice. You can get the instructions on the website here http://calicocutters.com/resources/Breast_Cancer_Pillowcases_directions.pdf

While I do think it is wonderful that so many people donate to the very visible charities out there, sometimes I think it is the smaller ones at the grassroots level that can really make a difference.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, they make my day!